Several years ago, people wanted computers so small, they would be easier to carry than even laptops. We now live in the age of smartwatches, where a watch can be digitized to act as a mini laptop to wear around the wrist.
Smartwatches are ideal for people constantly on the go or are highly active on a daily basis. If you are going on a stroll, for example, a smartwatch can give you email alerts, tell time and calculate your walking pace. You won’t even have to stumble around your pockets to get the reading. Smartwatches are particularly designed for fitness freaks. Almost all of these gadgets are designed to give fitness readings like the rate of heartbeat, stride, pulse and so on.
Apple and Samsung make the top ranking smartwatches in the market today. However, there are plenty of other options beyond these two choices. If you want a smartwatch, but don’t want to pay a sky-high price for it, you can always go with a lesser known brand.
The prices of low-cost smartwatches can vary from around $10 to $50. The cheapest often have limited functionalities and life spans. There are some smartwatches that cost close to a $100 that offer pretty much the same features as big name brands like Apple, but without the crazy price tag. For starters, the best budget smartwatch we recommend is the Pebble Smartwatch, which only costs a fraction of the price of the Apple Watch, but has a lot of similar features.
Here is a list of affordable smartwatches to buy if you are on a budget, or to decide if you are the smartwatch type. For our list, we’ve limited all watches to $50 or less.
7 Best Budget Smartwatch Options to Consider – 2018
Buyee Dz09 1.54-Inch Wristwatch Smartwatch with Pedometer Anti-lost Camera for iPhone, Sansung, Huawei android Phones - Silver
LEMFO Bluetooth Smart Watch WristWatch U8 UWatch Fit for Smartphones IOS Apple iphone 4/4S/5/5C/5S Android Samsung S2/S3/S4/Note 2/Note 3 HTC Sony Blackberry (White)
Smart Watch StarryBay Bluetooth Sweatproof Wristwatch with Touch Screen for Notification Push / Handsfree Call for Android 4.2 and Above/ Limited Function for iPhone 7.0 and Above
Cheap Smartwatch Buying Guide
When you are on the hunt for the best budget smartwatch, it’s important to keep the following in mind:
- Make sure the product comes with a warranty. Only purchase extremely cheap smartwatches (less than $30) without a warranty.
- Most cheap smartwatches run into battery problems. If this happens to you, try to replace the battery without throwing away the watch.
- Non-Apple smartwatches rarely work well with Apple-made handheld devices. Functionality could be severely limited. So, when you buy, ask the seller about how compatible the device is with Apple products. Read online reviews regarding this as well.
- Be aware of downloading too many APK files. The smartwatch should support high-rated apps from the Google Play or the Apple store. You should not entirely rely on downloading APK files from random sites on the internet.
- Pay attention to the design of the smartwatch, too. Make sure the band fits you comfortably. Try to get an idea of how big the watch face is. It tends to be usually big for many low-cost smartwatches.
- Buy a smartwatch that is water resistant. This should protect it from sweat and water it comes into contact with during activities like hand washing.