High-end smartphones these days can cost close to $1,000 when you are not buying is a carrier plan. However, you can still buy a decent unlocked phone for cheap.
Keep in mind that these phones may not be recently released, but budget phone can work as well as the latest releases.
For example, the best phone under 200 in my opinion, Samsung Galaxy S5, still outperforms some of the latest releases in the market.
Here is a list of top budget phones you can get for quite affordable prices:
7 Best Phones Under $200 – 2018
Samsung Galaxy S5 G900v 16GB Verizon Wireless CDMA Smartphone - Shimmery White (Certified Refurbished)
ASUS ZenFone 3 Laser 5.5-inch Glacier Silver [ZC551KL] Laser auto-focus, 13MP Rear / 8MP Front camera, IPS FHD display, 2GB RAM, 32GB storage
ALCATEL OneTouch Idol 3 Global Unlocked 4G LTE Smartphone, 5.5 HD IPS Display, 16GB (GSM - US Warranty)
Tips for Buying a Phone with a $200 Budget
Here are some tips for buying a good phone if you only have $200 to spare:
- Android phones are cheaper. So, if you are on the hunt for a budget smartphone, most likely you will land an Android phone. If you insist on an Apple iPhone, you will have to get an older phone, like the iPhone 5S mentioned above. Unless you can get someone to sell you one of the latest iPhones for cheap, you will not find budget-range iPhones.
- Buy a phone with a screen about 5.5 inches. These phones are easy to carry, and the screen is generally large enough to watch videos. Phones with smaller screens than that are more portable. Phones with larger screens are good for watching movies and videos on the go, but carrying can be a hassle.
- Pay attention to the smartphone processor. The more cores the processor has, the more efficient it will be.
- The higher the amount of RAM, the speedier the phone will be.
- If you want the phone to have a decent battery life, the battery should have at least 3,000 mAh capacity.
- You will need larger internal storage, usually 32GB or more, if you plan on shooting a lot of images and pictures. Otherwise, you will have to rely on external storage or cloud.